December 15, 2017, 05:56:01 PM
News: Hey, we have forums!
  Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Thinking of buying... Linux!  (Read 26748 times)
Chibi
Dream Bit

Deus Ex Aquaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 04:45:15 AM »

Dangermouse has tried it... lucky bastard.  Grin Here's his post:

I got my Aquaria v1.1.1 Smiley Loving the widescreen support! Smiley Looks spectacular. Had to go through a few minor changes throughout my mod to support the darkness layers though : / Still sad to see nothing new for the mod tools. : / I suppose that leaves plenty of room for future updates though if Alec is still planning on supporting this wonderful gem of a game!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate. [Click the signature for +1 health!]
Xiagan
Global Moderator
Dream Bit

"Does absolution lie above the waves?"

xiagan@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »

Or, at least the 1.0 version was reported to run well in Wine. Has anyone tried the new 1.1.1 release?

Will do tomorrow. Smiley

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

~ www.xiagan.net ~
beemer
Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 02:49:35 AM »

So now that the Mac version is out an the 1.1 patch for the Windows version is finished, is there any update on whether or not there will be a Linux port made?

Probably not.

I have a ton of projects to do in the immediate future, so I don't think there will be justifiable time to do it.

Ok - If we buy, will running it in wine be *officially* supported/bug fixed/etc?

edit: Actually, what would it take to get a linux version? X number of pre-orders or something to make it worth it to you?  From what I played of the demo under wine, this is a fantastic game.  Linux has it's share of great games and this really needs to be among them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:51:57 AM by beemer » Logged
Alec
Administrator
Dream Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 04:43:25 AM »

Yeah, if I had a million preorders, I might do it.  Grin

I've got a ton of things on the go right now, and another port really doesn't get me that excited.

beemer
Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »

sigh..and the video made it look so close too...

So - what about officially supporting it under wine then?
Alec
Administrator
Dream Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »

I don't really get what this means. It runs great under Wine from what users have told me. I don't have a Linux box, and I'd have no idea how to fix something if it only didn't work under Wine - since it would be due to some fault of Wine's emulation.

Xiagan
Global Moderator
Dream Bit

"Does absolution lie above the waves?"

xiagan@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »

It works very fine and flawless with Ubuntu Hardy and the latest version of Wine. Smiley

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

~ www.xiagan.net ~
JSW
Bit

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »

I don't really get what this means.
I think basically it means testing the game in Wine when you or they release a major update and fixing the bugs that crop up whenever possible.
rettichschnidi
Bit

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »

I'm waiting for a linuxversion since the day Aquaria came out.

Have you ever thought about letting someone else making the linuxversion? Maybe linuxgamepublishing.com or rune-soft.com?

Alec
Administrator
Dream Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 06:12:50 PM »

Probably not going to happen.

Danger Mouse
Hero Bit

Shush.

3302048 dmousefan dangermouse
View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »

I don't understand why this needs to happen when it's already playable on linux.... is it slow or something?
Chibi
Dream Bit

Deus Ex Aquaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »

From what I've heard, Aquaria (all versions) works excellently in Wine.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate. [Click the signature for +1 health!]
beemer
Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »

From what I've heard, Aquaria (all versions) works excellently in Wine.

That's not the point tho - It may work flawlessly now and forever. But - what if it doesn't?  Then I've spent X amount of money for a game I can't play.  If they won't do a linux port or officially support it under wine, then there's no reason to buy it if it could break (with a new version of wine or new version of the game itself) and the seller won't do anything about it.

Heck, I'd be happy with a version for linux that used a wine wrapper like Google's Picasa.  That way the game and the version of wine being used are under the control of Alec - easier to support for him without the headache of the user changing the wine version.

Chibi
Dream Bit

Deus Ex Aquaria

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 03:27:59 AM »

Ah, so what you're questioning is the reliability of Aquaria in Wine. I'm sure that it will continue to work - apparently all versions up to and including 1.1.1 work in Wine (I'm not entirely sure, so excuse me if I'm wrong).

Alec
Administrator
Dream Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 03:53:51 AM »

It'll work. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: