October 27, 2020, 07:21:33 AM
News: Hey, we have forums!
  Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The adjusted resolution for original iPad  (Read 6588 times)
Delmion
Bit

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:25:02 AM »

So, I've gotten around to playing the game on my original iPad with the update that lowers graphic resolution.  I never experienced any crashes before . . . and I'm glad to say that none are suddenly cropping up now.  Whew.

But this leaves me with a visible drop in prettiness.  What are the chances of an in-game toggle where I can crank the resolution back up?  If it were possible, I'd imagine it should default to the new "low" position, and provide an in-game warning that it is processor-intensive if turned on.

--Delmion
Alec
Administrator
Dream Bit

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:35:32 PM »

Welcome to our misery. Smiley

So unfortunately, Andrew had to implement low texture mode because some people have iPad1s with tons of apps installed. This means that the home screen takes up a lot of memory. (I guess because so many icons are loaded?) We had to figure out a way to make Aquaria take up less memory.

We talked about a few options, but none of them seemed that good:

• start in full texture mode, try to autodetect a memory crash, next time the app starts load up in low texture mode
  • start in low texture mode, give the user an option to switch to high texture mode (this seems like a bad idea, because some users might experience a crash right away)

We basically want to avoid all crashing if possible. :\ Crashing means we get 0 star reviews from very angry customers, which drags everything else down. It's just a bad user experience to have to deal with a crash.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: