October 20, 2019, 04:08:01 AM
News: Hey, we have forums!
  Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alec Holowka died Saturday  (Read 270 times)
Chibi
Dream Bit

Deus Ex Aquaria

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »

I just heard the news today.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/02/night-in-the-woods-co-creator-alec-holowka-has-died/

Aquaria was the first indie game I owned and this forum was the first internet community I joined. Alec struggled with mental illness and it caused as much pain to others as it did to himself. He will be missed nonetheless.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate. [Click the signature for +1 health!]
False.Genesis
Global Moderator
Super Bit

PRESS COMPILE FOR RAINBOWS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 01:25:40 AM »

RIP Alec. We never met, and the chance has passed. Yeah, he'll be missed.

Also, re: illness, this article by Scott Benson (NITW) has some extra insight.
It's always so much more complicated...

Let's just keep him in good memory. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzN6KdQXvtM
*raises a glass* Cry

Alphasoldier
Dream Bit

Zero Suit!

alphasoldier@hotmail.com alphasoldier1990
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »

Alec was curt, but an absolute creative genius. He was someone who managed his personal demons and still got somewhere in life. I can honestly say I've always looked up to the guy.
Aquaria is a game that got me into modding, into graphical design, and even got me interested in game design. Despite never officially having shown it, he accepted and even encouraged the degeneracy I made 10 years ago. That's the kind of guy he was.
I had sincerely hoped that one day I could've made a game together with him, even if it would've been the smallest and silliest of things.

Bizarrely, on the day I found out about this a drawer broke that contained the Aquaria CD I bought, with a signed "Thanks! : )" on it. I will cherish it as long as I exist.

Thank you, Alec. For all of the misery you've battled through, having made it this far, and giving us incredible things along the way.

I will not start a discussion here regarding the messed up way he went (or rather, got forced) out, but I feel the need to definitively say that society has failed Alec. Miserably so.

While it's awful circumstance to see you all again, I hope you are all doing well. If life is hitting you hard, feel free to contact me, even if you see this message years later. Life is always worth living.

P.S: As an sidenote: Due to people revisiting the forums again, I have gone over my generous 25MB Photobucket bandwidth limit, and decided to remove my useless Photobucket account. However, I haven't been able to change my avatar back.

God sees and knows everything, but at least he won't gossip about it.
smashIt
Bit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:19:34 PM »

Just read the sad news  Sad

It's a shame his life ended that way...
  Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: